Friday, May 11, 2012

Peace across the oceans

I have been thinking a lot about how this little idea, this little seed has been planted and has spread across the world so effortlessly and so willingly. It seems wonderful to me that the interweb allows us to connect, find kindred spirits and best of all share. And peace is a wonderful thing to share.

A mention here, a comment there, a blog post over there... and the word is spread and others join in and show their support for peace.

My mind is wandering across all sorts of options for my flags, but I am thinking paper so it slowly disappears in the weather, as it faces rain and sun and wind and fog and dew.

I'd love to hear what others are thinking and doing. I know Lesley has put her recent indigo dyeing to great use already and so the flags across the world begin.





6 comments:

  1. You are so right about how the web spreads an idea. I never even heard of prayer flags and can't remember when I first did. The concept can be different things to each of us. You choose paper so it will disappear into the Universe. Perhaps that is because you are most comfortable working with paper. I choose fabric, not only because it is my medium of choice, but I want my flags to sustain the elements.

    I'll be interested to know what others are thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the idea of paper flags disintegrating with time. I'm thinking about involving my college students in this if our schedule will allow. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still don't know what my flag will be made of. I really love your idea of a paper flag and its slow deterioration. I commented a couple of weeks ago about joining in with a group of local artists. I am slowly receiving positive feedback from them. One even replied that she does not like the idea of a flag, because they have traditionally been symbols of things men are willing to kill and destroy for. So I suggested that her contribution could be a no-flag. It can all add up to an interesting, enriching experience. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary Jane-
    I am so intrigued by this new project-- I love the idea of flags that slowly dissipate back into nature. I'm excited to watch this all develop-- I'm in awe of your ideas--
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just blogged about the project: http://ersimarina.blogspot.com.es/2012/05/flags-for-peace-project-and-wish.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's interesting to see the different thinking and approaches - and I love the idea of a no-flag flag thing! I am sure there is room for us all and more in our different ways of sharing peace, I love the diversity of creativity that abounds.

    ReplyDelete