Sunday, September 9, 2012

Peace flags weather-grams again...

I have taken some photos today of the new flags I wrote, and of them hanging in the tree.

I did another 10 today - when I went to hang them it looked as if maybe two had already blown off (we have had some serious wind the past few days) so I am just replacing them and letting them continue to drift and be.

The messages of peace - to take action in different ways - is a nice reminder for me. Perhaps we CAN smile peace or live peace or seek peace or breathe peace. Perhaps peace can be in every action we take...






And a few shots from the other afternoon when the light was different...





I am really looking forward to adding to them over the next two weeks, and then photographing and sharing them again on 21 September.  The tree will be more spring-like by then, buds and leaves will be bursting forth, and maybe peace will be as well...

8 comments:

  1. I love the process, it is going along beautifully. And the calligraphy is lovely too! I'll try to smell peace and see what happens :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. F-the brown paper bags makes me think that peace could be an everyday and ordinary part of life - may that be true. B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just beautiful Fiona! I love that you made peace a verb, active rather than just an idea/ideal. The simplicity of your writing on the paper is exquisite.

    I've a vision of the wind carried peace flag being found, being held in the finder's hands while she/he gazes at it...wondering how it came to be there...reading the words and letting the message sink into her/his soul. Peace glows from within and a smile lights her/his face.

    ReplyDelete
  4. your calligraphy is always so beautiful to look upon...
    i fully agree with barry - astute observation! i was going to do a bit of research on the originator of the weather gram yesterday but it got away from me...
    i second his wish - 'may that be true'...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such beautiful calligraphy... I love all the variation. I also see here the relationship of traditional Tibetan Prayer Flags and the Clootie wells of the Celts. Do you know them? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clootie_well

    Interesting to think how in Tibet, they needed to make their prayers on long strings, maybe cause there are not many trees up near the high temples, whereas in the Celtic lands, the trees provided a
    place for the cloth. Your flags are a meeting of the two for me...

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was wonderful to meet you today and contribute to the Peace Tree xoxo - Mel & Steve

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ersi - good luck with smelling peace; perhaps it's on the wind?
    Thanks B - yes there is simple honesty to brown paper bags isn't there; familiar, not precious, everyday-like that makes the message part of our daily lives perhaps.
    Thanks J - I loved it when the verb notion hit me - it seemed so perfect; a way to bring peace into my daily actions. Thank you too for that image - it warms me and I love the thought. I discovered another one gone this morning - hopefully to an owner who looks at it as you suggest...
    Thanks MJ - indeed may that be true
    Hi Valerianna - I hadn't made the connection before, but I like the notion of them being a bit of an amalgam. They are a personal interpretation with links to the past...
    Thanks Luthien!
    Hi Mel and Steve - thanks for dropping by and participating; we love it!

    ReplyDelete